So my initial testing of an ESP-12E showed that it couldn’t reliably keep up with two 10K PPR encoders (40K count). I discussed this project a great deal with my fellow astronomers on CloudyNights. After doing a lot more research and testing I’ve determined that the ESP8266 even when running at 160Mhz just can’t keep up with two 10K PPR encoders. Continue reading
So yesterday I was all happy that I got my prototype ESP-DSC working. This ended up being short lived as I realized this morning that while it does technically work, the ESP8266 can’t keep up with two medium resolution (2,500 CPR) encoders.
Ironically, I found out that the code was too slow when I started to optimize the code and I realized that the code I has was very very conservative. My original optimization was to speed it up, but maintain that conservative ethos. I figured while I was editing the code, I might as well also add a test to see if the ESP-12F was dropping interrupts… Continue reading
Spent most of my post-St. Patricks day writing code for the ESP-DSC. The big question was always does the ESP-12E have enough horsepower to handle both the encoders as well as doing all the WiFi/communications. So far, I’ve bench tested a pair of 2.5k CPR encoders which translate into 10K encoders after quadrature decoding. Continue reading
So a few years ago, I announced TeensyDSC, project that brings telescope digital setting circles to the iPad and Android devices using WiFi. I’ve been using my TeensyDSC successfully with my telescope and SkySafari on an iPad for a few years, but one thing always bothered me about it: the “COGS” (cost of goods sold) of the TeensyDSC was really expensive: nearly $100. A lot of that cost was in two parts: the Teensy 3.1 ($20) and RN-XV WiFi module ($35).
So I just ordered a few new boards from OshPark:
This was a major update which fixes all know bugs (many which are severe) and improves the protection of the circuit.
- Switch to Murata 5V switching regulator.
- LM7805 was overheating with heavy use of LED display in latest code
- Add power MOSFET for reverse polarity protection
- Add TVS diode for power/spike protection
- Fix fuel/very low fuel indicator for 03-04 and 05+
- Move EFI light off of pin 11 to allow interrupts to work
- Move Mode switch to an interrupt pin
- Add ground plane & clean up traces
- Further improve battery voltage monitoring
- Capacitors are now SMD too
I’m happy to announce I’ve finished with the latest design of the SV650 ECU Decoder which has a number of improvements:
- Add button for switching the display modes
- Add support for detecting “very low fuel” on 2005-07 models
- Improve battery voltage measurement circuit
- Small tweaks to the layout and silkscreen
The board design has been sent to OSH Park for fabrication and hopefully I’ll get them in about 2 weeks.
Here’s a rendering of the new PCB design:
Update: So some testing of this board is showing some problems, including a possible problem which causes the Teensy board to be damaged, so I’m currently suggesting people not use it!
I decided to release both the Arduino source code for the Teensy 2.0 board as well as the Diptrace files necessary for creating a PCB. Please feel free to fork the code on Github and add support for other bikes & microcontrollers! I’m also working on creating PCB files for Cadsoft Eagle so be sure to look for those!
So I’ve been spending my time working on the firmware running on the Teensy board which does all the ECU decoding. I’ve added support for displaying water temp and ECU error codes on the four digit LED display as you can see here:
So my v2.0 boards were a complete dud. Â Turns out some how I messed up the design and ended up wiring up the connector to the wiring harness backwards so nothing works. Â Wasn’t a complete disaster- I was going to have to do another revision of the board either way, but it does slow things down. Continue reading