I’ve decided to keep a running tab of parts on my race bike that I’ve broken or have had fail on me one way or another. This does not include any failures from normal wear & tear or tuning issues. For one, it’ll help me remember what I’ve replaced or had fixed and secondly hopefully it will serve as a warning to others considering starting a club racing career.
Year 1 of ownership (’99 SV650):
- Front fairing stay snapped in half my first track day in the wind.
- Dropped a valve in my motor doing STAR School
- Lost a bolt (well it’s prolly in my belly pan somewhere) holding the timing sensor on the stator cover. Bike wouldn’t run.
- Fried a clutch. (DNF)
- Stripped the nut on my rear axle doing a tire change.
- Exhaust header burnt through my belly pan.
- Stripped the threads for a bolt holding my gas tank in place.
- Bolts holding my stator in place broke- killing my motor (DNS)
Year 2 (’99 SV650):
- Completely rebuilt production legal motor by BRG Racing
- Taken out first lap of first race at Buttonwillow, bent subframe, exhaust, rearset & clipon
- Broke an E-clip holding my carb needle in place during Saturday practice. Got replacement in time to race!
- Crashed at Sears during trackday. Needed new fairing stay, frame sliders, clipon, clutch lever, rearsets and exhaust silencer
- Damaged a carberator bowl gasket causing a fuel leak, ending my track day after 1st session
- Case bearings pushed out, causing me to skip Round 5. Need to rebuild motor again.
- Found out my frame is bent and needs major repair.
Year 3 (’99 SV650)
- Bad coil. Lost a full day at the track trying to debug
- Crashed (taken out) during a race. New bodywork, fairing stay, windshield, right rearset, handlebar, throttle tube and master cylinder
- Crashed during a race due to frame breaking. New frame, bodywork, rear shock, exhaust can, shift linkage.
Year 4 (’99 SV650)
- Taken out during a race. Only very minor damage considering I was going 100mph when we touched.
- Broke my transmission. Ended up getting a used motor to finish the last 3 AFM race rounds
- Crashed at a track day due to a faulty front tire warmer. Right side clipon, rearsets and new rear brake master cylinder.
Year 5 (Duzucati 650)
- Missed first 2 rounds due to motor blowing up on dyno
- Missed round 3 due to bad design of tip over sensor mount
- Missed round 7 due to engine cases leaking oil
Year 6 (Duzucati 650)
- Missed round 1 due to a bad Power Commander
- Missed round 2 due to a torn tendon in my finger
- Raced the last 5 rounds without incident