Once again, I paid someone a lot of money to do my taxes. Honestly, it’s the best $750 I spend each year. The US gov’t does a great job making taxes complicated even for people like me who aren’t worth millions of dollars or are trying to use tax havens in various 3rd world countries.
Anyways, since I didn’t have to do my taxes, I decided to take the time to fix bugs and get the RC1 release out. This is actually a big deal. We’re talking over 2 years of effort, 100+ tickets fixed, 600 commits and 20,000 lines of code. But mere numbers don’t really begin to cover what’s new:
- Completely rewritten to improve performance
- Standardized options for easier use
- Tons and tons of bug fixes
- Rewrote all the docs to the wiki
- Plugin based architecture for DLT rewriting (DLT_EN10MB, DLT_NULL, DLT_LOOP, DLT_LINUX_SLL, DLT_HDLC, user defined)
- Initial support for Win32 under Cygwin
- Cleaner code for easier maintenance and enhancements
So what’s the future?
- More DLT support (802.11 for one)
- More plugins (layer 3, 4 and 5+)
- Possible use of Lua or other embedded language for ease of writing additional editing plugins
- Native Win32 support
- Much much more