I decided to release both the Arduino source code for the Teensy 2.0 board as well as the Diptrace files necessary for creating a PCB. Please feel free to fork the code on Github and add support for other bikes & microcontrollers! I’m also working on creating PCB files for Cadsoft Eagle so be sure to look for those!
So my v2.0 boards were a complete dud. Turns out some how I messed up the design and ended up wiring up the connector to the wiring harness backwards so nothing works. Wasn’t a complete disaster- I was going to have to do another revision of the board either way, but it does slow things down. Continue reading
So I finally finished the design of my very first PCB and placed an order with OSH Park to get some samples. The basic premise is I needed a way to decode the data stream from my 2nd gen SV650 ECU to know when there is a problem with the fuel injection system with the race bike. Also, ideally, I needed a way to know what the specific error codes are.
Normally you do this with the stock dash, but I wanted to use my GPX Pro dash and didn’t want two dashes on my race bike. Unfortunately, the PCB on the dash is just one large unit (including the tachometer) and so there wasn’t an easy way to just use the parts I needed (a red idiot light and the LCD which displays the error code).
So a few months ago I started looking into using Cassandra for a project. Not being fluent in Java or Python which have excellent client libraries for interfacing to Cassandra (Hector and Pycassa respectfully), I looked into the Perl and Ruby clients.
At the time, none of the native Perl or Ruby clients weren’t nearly as powerful, feature rich or as actively maintained as Hector/Pycassa. I started hacking on the Perl client, but a) realized it was going to need a lot of work and b) I really wanted to use Ruby on Rails as the front end for my application I started looking into using Hector with JRuby. Continue reading
I’ve noticed a certain pattern come up more and more recently and so I’d just like to make a public statement about asking for help with using tcpreplay:
Occasionally people are testing some kind of top secret device with tcpreplay and can’t tell me how it works or what it does or share their pcap file (because it has some kind of exploit or something like that I guess), but expect me to help them figure out why it can’t “see” the traffic tcpreplay sends. That’s a lot like asking your car mechanic to fix your car, but you won’t let them look at it because you’ve modified the engine to run on tap water and don’t want the mechanic to figure out your secret. As you might imagine, this is both very frustrating and a huge waste of my time.
Simply put, if you see the traffic in Wireshark or tcpdump, but your device under test can’t see it, then it’s most likely either a) bug in your product, b) you’ve miss-configured tcpreplay or c) you’ve got a bad pcap. You’ve pretty much ruled out a bug in tcpreplay at that point. Hence if you want help with determining if it’s A, B or C you’re going to have to give me your pcap, tell me what your product does and some basics about how it works under the hood. Honestly, I wouldn’t consider any of this at the company secrets level unless you’re hacking directly in kernel-space and are completely avoiding the well known socket API’s, but that’s your call.
Anyways, if you’re unable to tell the whole world on this mailing list the above, then your other option is to hire me as a consultant (for a price) at which point I’d be happy to sign an NDA to keep your secrets and we can work off list. Other then that, your best bet is to try and figure it out on your own, but please don’t ask me or the list for help to your problem.
This is my first post about my current geek project: building a wireless thermometer/alarm/data logger for my Weber smoker. Until now, I’ve been using a Maverick/RediCheck wireless unit which is merely OK. The wireless signal tends to be really flaky and it has only one temp probe. There are multi-probe units available, they’re still missing other features I’d be interested in such as logging the data for generating graphs, measuring ambient temperature outside and setting multiple alarms (for both the food and smoker temperature too high/low).
For my food and smoker temp measuring needs, I picked up 3 food safe probes from Thermoworks for $8/ea. Unfortunately, the probes come with no technical documentation and my email to the company requesting information was ignored. Contrary to my initial thoughts, these probes are not the same as those sold by Maverick or Amwei. I was however able to determine they are NTC thermistors and some searches turned up a way to convert the resistor readings into actual temperatures. Continue reading